Sunday, April 18, 2010

Bonus Training

First off, I added a page to the blog containing all of the workouts that have been thus far discussed.  The weather around here has been great for climbing when I am busy and lousy when I'm free(Friday and Saturday).  Combining this with my injury, which is a lot better, has given me time to experiment with my training protocol a bit, with good results.  I'll write it all up later.

The point of this post is to describe how to add unplanned, unstructured exercises to your routine. Bonus training can help your strength, flexibility, or endurance, sometimes it won't really do anything for your fitness other than burn a few extra calories.  I'll group bonus training into three main groups, with examples.

Bonus training that serves an another purpose.
1.  Riding a bicycle to work/school/for errands.
2.  Walking the dog.
3.  Doing yard work.

Bonus training that can be done while watching TV or a movie or reading.
1.  Floor calisthenics.
2.  Stretching. 

Bonus training that can be fit between daily activities.
1.  Run around the block.
2.  Do a few pull ups every time you walk by your pull up bar/hangboard.

Here is a list of some of the bonus training I do:
1.  Ride my bicycle to school.
3.  Handstand push ups and press handstands
5.  Squeeze power putty.
6.  Stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment