Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Data Collection and other notes

The fingerboard and one arm pull-up spreadsheets are being updated live during workouts. Look at the top of the page and click on "Training Charts and Logs" if you are interested. I'm going to start keeping a log of climbing days as well so I can start to see how the training numbers carry over to climbing performance.

In other news, my friend Tyler has joined the chart keeping team. It will be interesting to have another set of data points.

Readers may have noticed that the information in this blog is devoted to the physical aspect of climbing as opposed to the technical or mental. There are a few reasons for this bias. I'll make a list.


  1. I don't believe climbing is quite as technical as everyone says. This might have something to do with my background in much more technical sports(gymnastics, diving).
  2. I don't feel qualified to talk in depth about the mental side of climbing. Dave Macleod's book 9 out of 10 climbers makes the same mistakes has some good writing on this topic.
  3. I feel like the training methods I have developed are very beneficial while breaking most of the standard "rules" regarding training for climbing.

If anyone has a good link or reference for training climbing movement skills or mental strategies: Write a comment!

One last thing.  You can now "like" this blog on facebook. If you are interested in such things click the box at the top of the page, or search for "Robot Climbing" on facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Self Coached Climber by Hague and Hunter has some great content on climbing movement. Great blog!

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you use for pinches? I guess that's the only feature the beastmaker lacks. Also, anything you do for skin management on the beastmaker? I have torn a few flappers using the mono holds and small two finger pockets.

    ReplyDelete